The early Marine emblem with an eagle clutching an anchor fouled by an anchor cable is the oldest still in use. The Corps was using it in 1804. That emblem is still worn on the buttons of the green and blue service and dress uniforms. In 1867, when the Corps decided to have an official emblem, then-Commandant, Brigadier General Jacob Zeilin convened a board of officers who submitted a recommendation of the eagle, globe and anchor to the Secretary of the Navy. The emblem was adopted in 1868 and included a fouled anchor similar to those on the emblems of the British Navy and Royal Marines.
Since then, there have been several versions of the eagle, globe and anchor. The most notable difference is that over the years, some emblems have a fouled anchor and some do not. The reason is somewhat uncertain, but in 1877, the first collar ornaments were authorized and were worn by Marine officers. Those collar ornaments did not have an anchor cable. When the enlisted collar emblems were authorized in 1920 they, too, were sans anchor cable. Then in 1955 the Corps authorized the anchor cable on enlisted emblems. In 1962 the anchor cable became standard on the collar emblems of Marine officers. The officer and enlisted cap ornament, since it was authorized in 1868, has always had an anchor cable.